Friday, January 8, 2010

Why Do I Believe in God?

I've been asking myself lately why I believe in God. Honestly, I haven't given it too much logical thought since I have believed in Him as a small child. The Scripture tells us that God is a rewarder of those who believe in Him, of those who truly seek Him. So belief that God exists is the first step to actually "believing." You may think this is a "no brainer," that everyone believes in God, but this is not so. As Christians, we must be able to share our faith to whoever is asking and give an answer to the hope that lies within us.

Since I believe God is the Creator and that we are made in His image, this does change my worldview. If we are made in His image then we are somewhat like Him. I believe in the Trinity: the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. I believe that we are a tri-part being: soul, body, and spirit. I believe the universe relies on the authority of God's power and His word to exist and keep existing. Therefore, I believe His words, that they are spirit and life. Without His word, it would be utter chaos with man doing whatever he wants and propagating selfish ambition, relative truth, a life without God. Yes, I do believe in absolute truth. How can you believe an action is right or wrong if you do not base it on absolute truth? Otherwise, you are God. You decide what is good and evil. This is why men like Nero and Hitler were able to torture and kill other human beings on a large scale. Hitler believed he was doing a good thing.

I had the privilege when I was younger of working for the Department of Corrections. My job was to peruse the inmate files for victim information so we could notify of inmate release dates. Let me tell you, this experience taught me that all people are not good. With little regard for other human beings, their anger, hate, or sexual depravity knows no bounds.

I am realizing this question is so important to logical thought. I believe God is a God of divine logic. The Scripture says creation speaks of Him, He tells us about Himself through His handiwork. The Heavens declare the glory of God. I don't have enough faith in man or human thinking to guide my way. Every man or woman on this planet will let you down. There is only One who is faithful and true. If more individuals understood that God's nature is good, loving, and kind, they would willfully place themselves under His tender care. If their view of God is the opposite, they will turn away from Him in their hearts. The fundamental question to the rebellious hearts of men is, "Are you internally willing to submit to the God of the universe?" (If you aren't sure, let's pretend He exists.) Funny, I think this question will spark a debate within anyone.

As a matter of fact, I don't have enough faith to be an atheist or an agnostic. There are too many proofs in nature itself to direct me otherwise. The intricate coding design of DNA is so complicated, it could not have just happened. One of Google's finest computer programming engineers has studied the coding of human DNA and proclaimed it to be the most elegant and sophisticated programming he has encountered. If there is a design, there must be a designer. If there is a designer, there must be a purpose for His design. The Scriptures eloquently explain God's divine plan. His plan was to die for my sins so I wouldn't have to, to show His great love for me because He and His father loved the world so much. They would do anything to reach us, to be with us forever. He has loved me, wooed me, healed me, and captured my heart. I have felt His Holy Spirit draw me for years and fill me with His fire. This is why I believe.